The Event: Only the greatest sporting event on the planet, London proudly hosted the Olympic and Paralympic Games in the summer of 2012. Over 10,000 athletes participated in 26 sports from 27th July to 12th August.
My Role: Venue Logistics Manager, part of the Roaming Crew team, responsible for everything that went in and out of Olympic and Paralympic training venues including supporting sport transitions at competition venues.
- Use finite resource, limited planning and support to create and deliver a plan in an under developed area
- Plan, organise, and implement logistics operation for four training venues – two football, gymnastics and volleyball
- Implement logistics operations for other training venues including basketball, judo, wrestling and badminton
- Support competition venues with large transitions in tight time frames of less than 18 hours
- Olympic Stadium – Opening Ceremony to Athletics
- North Greenwich Arena (The O2) – Gymnastics to Basketball
Surprises: On the day athletes began arriving, there wasn’t a sufficient plan to deal with the tonnes of luggage that came with them that needed to be processed separately and then married up with teams/countries to be delivered to respecting accommodations. We were called in to solve the logistics issue and put a plan in place on the ground to deliver an efficient service to the athletes.